Sunday, April 17, 2011

Patience is key...


   On Wednesday it’ll be 4 months since I’ve taken my last dance class.  I know I know…I’ve been taking hip hop.  I mean technical dance class.  Where I point my feet, turn, jump and land with ease.  I miss that.  I can’t even imagine landing on my left foot.  It’s like led.  I drag it around everywhere.  I’ve been saying that I need to become a badass hip-hop dancer in order to continue my career. I don’t know if I’ll be able to point my foot again.  But I’ll stop being negative.  That’s not the purpose of this post.  I’m human.  I need a little wallowing time.
   On the flip side, I’m doing some incredible things.  I’ve continued to take class on Saturday and dance.  I need to make a few adjustments to the steps, but in general I can move pretty fast and proficiently.  I amaze myself.   My business has never been better at work.  I love the clients I work with and they have stuck by me through this whole process.  Seeing familiar faces of friends and members at the gym everyday has really helped my recovery.  Everyone’s rooting for me.  So I need to push it.  Every single day.  I do my exercises.  Go swimming.  Do strength training.  Practice Muay Thai.   Currently, my left hip and glutes need strengthening.  They stabilize my ankle.  Because of the severity of my injury, many muscles have turned off.  This is my body’s defense mechanism.  It prevents the movement that will incur further injury.  Now that I’m well on my way to recovery, I need to wake these muscles up.  Lots of abductor and external rotation exercises.  I had a pretty good workout at the gym today that include the bike for 15 minutes (ouch my bum was on fire!!), a lot of abdominal exercises, and shadow boxing with three-pound weights to get my heart rate up.   I feel like I could have done more, but by that time my foot was throbbing and I called it quits.  I do what I can to keep it up.  I can’t wait till I can get back to my regular routine.
   My last doctor’s appointment was April 6th.  Dr. Tejwani says everything looks great!  And I’m ahead of schedule.  Usually people are just getting out of the boot when they see him after 6 weeks of walking.  I ditched it 3 weeks early : ) .  Here’s a picture of my X-Ray.  It’s pretty gnarly.





Oh here’s me and my big sock.  We had some good times.  But our days are over.   





On top of the cool photos, here’s a video of some hip-hop.  Something I put together on the fly.  Feels great to move again. 



Taking it to the next level…


~Amy        

No comments:

Post a Comment